Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Student-Centered Learning



A few weeks ago, I was asked to speak about student-centered learning at one of the high schools at which I’m currently teaching.  And though apprehensive at first, uncertain of how to best capture a sharply different instructional approach, I ultimately accepted the invitation and couldn’t be happier I did.  With little time at my disposal, I opted for a PowerPoint presentation to highlight some of the student-focused learning strategies commonly practiced at AHS.  Among the subtopics I touched upon were student-arranged classrooms, student-crafted questions that drive curriculum, student revision for growth, and project-oriented learning for independent and collaborative work.  Without going into too much detail - especially since most AHS teachers already know about these methods, I devoted most of the presentation to sharing ideas on how to “give power” to the kids, to let them feel that their learning is self-generated.  For example, many of my colleagues and I will frequently ask the students to contribute 3 to 4 great questions in response to a night’s reading (part of a book, short story, etc.).  During the next class, the students convene in groups to discuss and analyze these questions, eventually writing their most valuable prompt (M.V.P.) on the board for class discussion.  As with the other techniques, the students are clearly driving the energy of the class, both intellectually and verbally; the teacher merely points to the prompts on the whiteboard to elicit additional conversation from as many kids as possible.  By contrast, in South Africa the seniors (or grade 12’s as they are called) have to take their Matriculation exams at the very end of the year.  These are much like AP’s back in the U.S., but, like A-levels in Britain, they essentially determine where you go to college.  Therefore, the curriculum tends to focus inordinately on testing prep. rather than on ways to best explore and engage the subject matter.  In other words, they only receive questions.  As a result, many SA students with whom I have worked lament the “heaviness of school” and the fact that they don’t see the point.  I sympathize entirely.  Students should be able to work hard all year and to earn credit for that sustained effort.  Why place so much emphasis on a final exam, which, for many reasons, can go very poorly?  Instead, why not pursue instruction that allows students to wrestle with and answer complex questions of their own design?  The skills -- problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, analytical -- associated with projects can then challenge and develop higher-level thinking for standardized tests and future professional success.  What’s more, the students come to view this style of learning as far more satisfying and practical.  In the end, presenting on our system at AHS was a fantastic honor, allowing me to freely exchange ideas with my SA colleagues and reminding me of how strong a system we have at home.  I am thankful for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment